The cooler months can wreak havoc on the skin. Your summer skincare regimen has to change for the cooler months to accommodate for the low humidity in the air. Many people prefer lighter weight moisturizers like Aari Body's Maui Mango Body Butter; but in the fall/winter seasons, this lightweight moisture doesn’t prove effective for longterm moisture for low humidity temperatures. Our O.G. Butter has a thicker consistency and lasts longer on the skin. To help your skin retain heavier moisture, these carrier oils below can help get the job done. Bonus recipe at the end of this blog!
This oil is AMAZING and my favorite to work with! It is an oil you can swap for coconut oil in your skincare routine easily! This carrier oil is a great addition for fall/winter and for those with generally dry skin year around. The oil acts as a barrier to keep moisture in the skin. It has anti-inflammatory properties to help irritated skin.
A super penetrating oil, Almond oil easily and quickly absorbs into the skin. It is full of nutrients and vitamins like A, D, & E. Almond oils works by softening the skin, regenerating the cells, and it's great for aging skin and wrinkles. To find pure Almond oil, you must purchase cold pressed oils. The cold pressed version has more of the nutrients to help the skin versus the refined version.
Lot of people aren’t even aware that castor oil is considered a carrier oil. This oil is thick in texture and offers natural shine to the skin. It has anti-inflammatory properties, has vitamin A & D for the skin, and is rich in nutrients. It doesn’t come in larger quantities in stores like coconut or almond oils. Wholesale suppliers do carry this oil in larger quantities for those interested in using this oil in larger quantities. Castor oil can come from different regions. I am a fan of the Haitian and Jamaican castor oils. They have the same texture, but appear darker in hue. They also have other benefits different form the lighter colored castor oil because of the way they are processed.
Another great oil that is easily available in the supermarkets is Almond Oil. This oil is dark green in hue when purchased in its authentic form. Lots of stores sell avocado oil and it has a pale yellow color, this is the refined version that doesn’t offer the therapeutic qualities you will be seeking for your skin. Avocado oil is extracted from the flesh of the fruit. This super fruit is very moisturizing to the skin, it has anti-inflammatory properties, vitamin E, potassium, lecithin, and many other nutrients that can nourish and moisturize the skin.
I hope this was informative and helpful! As I am a very DIY person, I’m always on the hunt for DIY recipes to make my own products to target something. (Hence why & how I ended up being a product business owner lol!) I am all for DIY life! I’ll leave a simple butter recipe for you to include your winter carrier oils. You can mix all of these oils together with essential oils that target your specific skin issues, or add them to raw shea butter to make your own whipped butter! I’ve linked some of the ingredients to amazon for those who don’t know where to find these items in pure form.
Easy Whipped Butter Recipe
Prep Time 25 minutes
Cook Time 5 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 24 oz
Author Candace Gunter
Try the recipe. The more oils you have the lighter the texture when whipped. If you want a heavier butter, use less oils.
Ingredients & Supplies
- 12 oz Shea Butter- https://www.amazon.com/African-Unrefined-Natural-Butters-Psoriasis/dp/B07KPKYVVV/ref=sr_1_14?crid=3R5JLNVIQC28Y&keywords=plant+guru+shea+butter&qid=1665159746&qu=eyJxc2MiOiI0LjE4IiwicXNhIjoiMy43OCIsInFzcCI6IjMuNTQifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=plant+guru+%2Caps%2C99&sr=8-14
- 3 oz Cocoa Butter Wafers -https://www.amazon.com/Nuvia-Organics-Cocoa-Butter-Wafers/dp/B09322697P/ref=asc_df_B09322697P/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=598347978182&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2705362825656773016&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9013266&hvtargid=pla-1742208240434&psc=1
- 3 oz Avocado Oil
- 3 oz Almond Oil
- 2 oz Avocado Oil
- Kitchen Scale - https://www.amazon.com/Vont-Beautiful-Measurement-Stainless-Batteries/dp/B08SW6F5SZ/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?crid=1P113MIB5DPW1&keywords=kitchen+scale&qid=1665160850&qu=eyJxc2MiOiI1LjAzIiwicXNhIjoiNC44NSIsInFzcCI6IjQuNzMifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=kitchen+scale%2Caps%2C101&sr=8-3-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzNzBJNDRENDdGOERJJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNzQwMjM5UDhBMjcxQkRGNVRNJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA1MDc1OTAyNUs0TThCMEJDMURCJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
- Measuring Cup
- Weigh all the butters and oils individually in the same glass bowl on the scale (zero your scale when adding then next ingredient).
- Heat over low heat, stirring frequently. (Cocoa butter wafers are easier to melt rather than cocoa butter in a solid form. The solid cocoa butter is harder to break up and bigger pieces take longer to melt.)
- Remove from heat and cool in the refrigerator until thickened. The center should be softer than the sides. Check butter around 12 min mark to see if the middle is soften and sides are hard. If not place back in refrigerator until ready. (if you are impatient like me, use the freezer for a quicker hardening time. Be sure to cover with plastic wrap to avoid spills.)
- Add to mixer bowl and beat on low for 2 mins and slowly increase speed.
- Whip it until it has soft peaks.
- Add essential oils, fragrance, mica for color (optional step).
- Spoon into jars or for a nicer look, use a spatula to put into storage bags, cut the corner and squeeze into jars.
Butter Recipe Notes
This does not contain water so it does not require a preservative. Keep in mind, butter and oils go rancid. Adding vitamin E, helps eliminate this issue. Store finished butter in a cool dark place away from the sun to avoid melting. When whipped butters melt, they tend to change in texture but are still good to use.
*Vitamin E, Grapefruit Extract, and Rosemary are NOT preservatives, they are antioxidants. They cannot prevent the growth of mold, yeast, or bacteria. Try not to expose your butters to water.
If you want to add a preservative, here are a few to try:
SPECTRASTAT™ G2 NATURAL MB
LEUCIDAL SF MAX